Black Business Initiative (BBI)
BBI’s primary stakeholder is the Black Community of Nova Scotia and is governed by a regionally-represented volunteer Board of Directors.
The BBI is the principal business and economic development agency for African Nova Scotian communities in the Province of Nova Scotia. It has as its vision to foster a dynamic and vibrant Black presence within the Nova Scotia business community.
Applications are now being accepted for the following position:
Position Title: Executive Secretary
Location: Suite 1201, 1660 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Closing Date: 4:00 pm on September 19, 2014
Competition #: BBI-09/19/2014
Reporting to the CEO, the position provides administrative support and work flow coordination services for the CEO and Board Chairperson. The candidate must have experience working with senior management teams and exhibit a high level of professionalism in liaising with Board members and senior level stakeholders. As the primary frontline contact for the CEO, the position maintains high standards for professional and responsive customer service.
The candidate will also manage the CEO’s calendar and meeting schedule, take minutes, write and edit letters and maintain BBI’s filing, call forward and CRM systems. Other duties include:
- Contribute to, review and edit work done by senior management and ensure documents are error free and that company formatting policies are followed.
- Hold senior team members accountable for meeting submission deadlines and quality standards as established by the CEO and Chair of the Board.
- Prepare responses to correspondence, draft proposals and presentations and complete applications as required in support of the goals and priorities of the CEO and Board Chairperson.
- Open, sort and analyze incoming mail, faxes, email, memos, submissions and reports and distribute to the appropriate personnel.
- File and retrieve corporate documents, records, correspondence, invoices and reports.
- Perform general office duties such as ordering supplies, maintaining paper and electronic records management systems, preparing expense reports and maintaining BBI’s client and business data bases.
- Prepare agendas, take meeting minutes and make arrangements for on and offsite staff, Board and Committee meetings.
- Make travel arrangements for the senior management team.
- Conduct research, compile data and prepare reports, memos, letters and other documents as needed for senior management and BBI’s various Boards and Committees.
- Assist in training and supervision of other administrative staff as required.
- Review operating practices and procedures, seeking efficiencies and cost-savings in areas such as workflow, reporting procedures, policies and service excellence.
- Participate in the planning, coordination and the project/event management of BBI activities such as conferences, summits, AGMs, networking events and the production of our business magazine.
- Disseminate newsletters, promotional material, notices and other information.
- Manage petty cash accounts and keep records of collections and disbursements.
- Maintain the reception and other common areas in a neat and tidy condition.
- Operate and train/support other staff in the use of office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, phone systems etc.
- Other duties as required in serving the CEO, Board and broader BBI mandate.
The successful completion of an accredited secretarial/administrative program or an acceptable equivalent plus three years of directly related work experience at a senior management level. The candidate must have advanced skills in the use of word, PowerPoint, outlook, internet researching and electronic filing systems. The candidate must be able to type a minimum of 65 words per minute, be proficient in taking minutes, writing and editing letters and maintaining filing and call forward systems. He/she will have strong customer service and public contact skills. The candidate shall also demonstrate a commitment to learning to operate new office technologies and equipment as they are adopted and implemented.
He/she must possess sound judgment and tact in dealing with a variety of people; demonstrate excellent organizational skills; and possess an ability to maintain confidentiality. He/she must be a team player demonstrating a high degree of initiative, a positive can-do attitude, have a strong work ethic and ability to prioritize, set and meet deadlines and work in a multi-task environment.
The following will be considered an asset: able to use social media as a marketing tool, able to speak a second language, familiarity with the African Nova Scotian community; able to make basic website edits, formal training in sales, public relations or service excellence.
Please demonstrate in your cover letter how you meet the above qualifications. Please also identify the competition number, position title and location in your cover letter.
Please forward applications to: Black Business Initiative, 1660 Hollis Street, Suite 1201, Halifax, NS, B3J 1V7, Fax 426-8699 or by email at BBI@bbi.ns.ca. Closing date for applications is 4:00 p.m. on September 19, 2014. For more information on BBI, visit us at: www.bbi.ca
Please note that an offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of an interview and all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or all of the following: reference checks, other employment checks, criminal background checks, child abuse registry, education verification and social media checks.
We thank all applicants for your expressed interest, however,
only those selected for an interview will be contacted.