The Black Business Initiative (BBI) is a province-wide business development organization designed
to support business starts, growth and attraction and the development of job opportunities for Black
Nova Scotians. The vision for the BBI is “A dynamic and vibrant Black presence within the Nova
Scotia business community.”
Applications are now being accepted for the following position:
Position Title: Accounting Assistant
Location: Suite 1201, 1660 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Closing Date: Friday, July 29th, 2016
Reporting to the Controller, The Accounting Assistant is primarily responsible for performing
accounts payable, accounts receivable, recording, tracking and reporting of expenses while
maintaining BBI composite financial records.
The incumbent is also responsible for database and information management in which a variety of
information is collected to prepare statistical and data analysis reports. The ideal candidate will also
provide general accounting and daily administrative operations that support the accounting
Other duties include:
- Process payroll, benefits and HST remittances;
- Prepare bank reconciliations, bank journal entries, bank deposits and coordinate the
- Maintain personnel files and related leave records and claims;
- Ensure Joint Stock Registrations are maintained and current;
- Ensure that insurance for each entity is maintained and current;
- Participate in the planning, coordination and the implementation of activities such as
conferences, summits, AGMs, project budget development and the oversight of
project contracts and reporting;
- Verify and audit expense reports following company guidelines;
- Support the team with specific queries relating to employee expenses;
- Assists the Controller in performing accounting of various expenditures as well as
with year-end audit preparation;
- Prepare payments to third parties and ensure delivery;
- Corroborate and validate invoices and statements with appropriate documentation
- Assists with ad-hoc accounting-related functions and requirements.
Completion of Grade 12, supplemented with post-secondary training from Business College or
Administration courses. Three years’ experience in the administrative office environment and
experience with Windows 2007 and intermediate knowledge of MS Excel, Word and database
management. Experience using Sage ACCPAC for windows would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate must have a sound knowledge of accounting principles and procedures,
as well as organizational and internal controls.
- Other required skills and knowledge include:
- Communication: speak fluent English with excellent writing skills;
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks while enjoying a fast paced work environment;
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail and ability to
- Must demonstrate a high degree of initiative, a positive can-do attitude, in a
cooperative team environment.
Considered an asset: Familiarity with the African Nova Scotian Community
Please forward applications to by 5.00pm on Friday, July 29th, 2016:
Black Business Initiative,
1660 Hollis Street, Suite 1201,
Halifax, NS, B3J 1V7,
Or by email at: BBI@bbi.ns.ca.
Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter,
identify the competition number and position title.
The BBI values Diversity and Inclusion. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are
encouraged to self-identify in your covering letter.
Please note that an offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of an
interview and all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which
must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or all of the following: reference
checks, other employment checks, criminal background checks, child abuse registry, education
verification and social media checks. A three month probationary period will be in effect.
We thank all applicants for their expressed interest, however, only those selected for an
interview will be contacted.