Job Location: Halifax
The Black Business Initiative (BBI) is a province-wide business development organization designed to support business starts, growth and attraction and the development of job opportunities for Black Nova Scotians. The vision for the BBI is “A dynamic and vibrant Black presence within the Nova Scotia business community.” The BBI is currently seeking a Managing Director to help foster the implementation of this vision across the region.
Reporting to the CEO, the Managing Director will provide strategic, operational and financial leadership to the organization. The Managing Director will advance BBI’s mandate by developing and leading an active stakeholder engagement and communications strategy designed to strengthen brand awareness and by promoting the values of the organization through their work as a passionate and mission-driven ambassador in the community. The Managing Director will also provide innovative leadership to the design and implementation of BBI’s range of demand-driven programs and services, and the strategic counsel and guidance necessary to ensure that the BBI continues to advance its mission and vision and achieve its activity, performance and service delivery targets. Providing effective management, supervision and support to a dedicated team of professionals as they live their potential is an important aspect of this role. The position also involves oversight of a range of business and financial activities including preparing, implementing and reporting on business plans, applying for funding and overseeing financial analysis and outcomes reporting.
As the ideal candidate:
- You come to the role with five years of related experience in a role involving the management of staff and resources.
- Your excellent written and verbal communications skills will allow you to constructively and sensitively engage with a diverse group of priority stakeholders and effectively motivate and inspire a team.
- In past roles, you have gained experience developing and implementing a marketing and communications strategy that effectively engages with online, social and print media and writing and analyzing business plans, funding and partnership proposals, grant applications and activity reports.
- Your excellent organizational skills and experience in a fast-paced and multi-task environment mean you work effectively and efficiently to bring initiatives to completion.
- You are results-oriented, with a high degree of initiative, a can-do attitude and a strong work ethic. You understand the challenges facing the Black business community in Nova Scotia and come to this role ready and able to work collaboratively to tackle them.
- As the ideal candidate, you also have a driver’s license, the ability to travel year-round advancing BBI’s mandate and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
Please forward applications to: Black Business Initiative, 1660 Hollis Street, Suite 1201, Halifax, NS, B3J 1V7, by July 27th, by email at BBI@bbi.ns.ca. Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications. In your cover letter, identify the competition number, position title and location.
The BBI values Diversity and Inclusion. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify in your covering letter.
Please note that an offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of an interview and all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or all of the following: reference checks, other employment checks, criminal background checks, child abuse registry, education verification and social media checks.
We thank all applicants for their expressed interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.